The cemetery was begun in April 1918 after the close of the German offensive in Picardy. At the end of March, the 3rd, 29th and 56th Casualty Clearing Stations had come to Gezaincourt where they were joined for a short time in April by the 45th. They remained until September
The 3rd Canadian Stationary Hospital, in the citadel at Doullens, also buried in this cemetery in May and June 1918, and the 2nd Canadian Division in April and May.
The graves in Plot III, Row A relate to a bombing raid over Doullens on 30 May 1918.
There are 1,374 servicemen of the First World War buried or commemorated in the cemetery. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens..